Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Fear

My thought for today is fear. I guess that is because I am experiencing more fear than I can remember ever having. We have been contemplating a big family move, and finally made the plunge. We signed the contracts. It appears to be a done deal. We move.

I was trusting God as we discussed the move and was keeping all those "what if's" from controlling my thoughts, but now that the decision has been made, a wave of fear-- the unknown--washes over me. I shake it off, and it returns. I try to keep it hidden. I try to give it to God. But in the end, I am afraid.

As a result, I have been contemplating the meaning of fear. Of course, my conclusion is that God created fear and therefore some fear is useful and indeed life-saving (like my fear of poisonous spiders! and doing my taxes wrong :)) The fear of the Lord is even commanded. So, where is my problem? It must be that I am afraid what God has for me is going to be something I won't like--it might hurt. It is always wrong to be afraid of God's plan... isn't it? That's a form of not trusting Him, of wanting my own way...that's it. Wanting my own way.

I don't want that. I don't want to live with a spirit of fear. I think it was Timothy who said, "God hath not given us a spirit of fear, but He hath given unto us a spirit of power, and of love, and of a sound mind." Instead of just shaking off feelings of fear, I need to accept God's plan and go with it--embrace it. It's seems so much more difficult than it sounds, but it is my goal for this journey...my goal for today.

4 comments:

Jill said...

Be strong and and of good courage, do not be terrified, do not be discouraged. For the Lord our God is with you wherever you go. Joshua 1:9

All change is scary. The many unknowns can sometimes overwhelm us, let alone the things that we do know about. As much as I am sad to see you go, this seems like such a great fit for your family and great benefits for the long run. I wish I could say this is not God's will...but from this angle it sure looks like it is. I will be praying for your peace.

Lori said...

You said it, my sister, trust God...one day at a time, moment by moment.
I can't help but think that God must have plans to use you and yours is a mighty way down there is Florida.
Why?
Because He has used you mightily here!
Do you realize that?
YOUR family gets it!
God has set a standard for His children and your family maintains that standard, even when it hurts or it's unpopular.
That standard has challenged those around you in a way you'll never know.
Thank you for your steadfast devotion to God's Word.
I can't even express how special your family is to mine and how badly I want you to stay here with us, but, I know that God will bless you with all that you need and if you are struggling with trust, then lean on me cuz I can trust for the both of us.
Here's my favorite saying:

"You always said I could lean on you, so I did, and we both fell."
(HA)
I'm a soft landing.

Your friends always....

Tricia said...

Since Jill gave you a verse, I'll give you one. It's my favorite (even on my blog) Prov. 3:5-6. I know you know it, but it says, "Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding. In all your ways, acknowledge HIM and He will direct your paths."

Because you have trusted Him completely, He has directed your path to Florida. He will be with you there just as He has been here with you. It breaks my heart to know you will be moving so far away. You are so dear to me!!! I've enjoyed your friendship so much. In fact, I will miss your whole family and am sad for my kids that they won't get to be influenced by such wonderful christians. So, while you will be leaving us for a new adventure, I sure am grateful God gave you a detour here and to our church, so we could be friends. Afterall, He did direct you here, right? I don't think you've regretted that. So have no fear, God holds you in the palm of His hand.

By the way, if it makes you feel any better, I was just sobbing as I wrote this. ;)

Lovingly...

Pansy said...

Hey mommie it is Derek...I changed my name to jerry....I will tell you later.

I love you, Scott!